7 Tips to prevent a house fire during cold winter
House fires have injured a firefighter in Elgin, hurt three people in Lake Villa and left homes in Wauconda, Hoffman Estates and Naperville uninhabitable, all in the last few days.
Officials link some of the fires to homeowners' attempts to stay warm indoors while outdoor temperatures are below freezing.
1. How can I safely use a space heater to warm up a room?
2. How can I make sure my fireplace is ready for use?
3. What methods should I avoid using to warm up my house?
4. What decorations can post dangers?
5. How can I prevent pipes from freezing?
6. What types of fire safety equipment should I have in my house?
7. If a fire starts, how do I prevent it from spreading?